Re: Problem with NIC not connecting to hub.

Simon Slater wrote:
On Wednesday 20 July 2005 05:20, Simon Slater wrote:

	I have a PII running FC3 with a DEC500 as eth0.  It has worked fine for
months when directly connected (crossover cable) to another desktop with

an

identical FC3 installation but Realtek NIC using NFS, or similarly to a
laptop (Win98) using Samba. These latter two communicate fine through a
Synoptics Lattishub 2803.  However when the PII is connected to the
Lattishub, the LINK LED only flashes once every few seconds along with the
DATA, (DATA) & COL LED's. I cannot ping any other host. The cables
(straight through) have been checked. The configuration still allows

IANAE on hubs, but, it sounds like the card is having problems ntgotiating the transfer speed with the hub. mii-tool can help (but I'm not an expert in using it). It should be able to tell you how the NIC is configured. I assume you're using a static IP configuration and that the PII tells you that the interface is up and running (ifconfig)?

direct

connection with NFS or Samba which still works fine.

?? What configuration? The NIC? It works with NFS and Samba when you use a crossover cable?

I'd use mii-tool and look at the differences in the NIC between the 2 situations and try and determine what's wrong.

Sometimes, certain NICs don't play well with certain routers....

Is the NIC 10M?  100M?   1000M?   What about the hub?

	Does anyone know what the problem may be?  Any suggested fixes?

Regards
Simon Slater.

Not familiar with that hub, but could the cable possibly be plugged into an
uplink configured port, not a downlink? I've done that before.

Tom

--
	I have not had anything to do with this hub until recently, have no
documentation and could find nothing useful when googling.  All the RJ45

I'd stick with the MDI-X ports as the MDI only port looks like an uplink.... (I could be wrong though, it might be possible that the MDI-X ports autodetect the cable, crossover or straight). Check the hub specs to be sure.

	I have swapped the Cat 5 cable between a variety of ports (16 in all) with
the same results: the ones that work, work anywhere, but this one won't
regardless of position.

	Is there a way to see what the card is doing from the FC3 side, or talk to
the hub to find out what it is doing and how it is configured?

mii-tool and mii-diag might help.

Simon

Good luck!

--