USB2 HD enclosures that work with FC

I use a number of linux OS for scientific work including FC3-4, SL4 and
RH8.  I use a USB2 external enclosure to backup data. The one I
originally purchased a year ago doesn't support HD above 137 Gb.  You
could format it 250 Gb as an internal IDE drive and df would recognize
it as 250 Gb and e2fsck (unforced would claim it clean).  However,
forced e2fsck would bomb (e2fsck -f), so clearly ext3 journaling (or
inode tables?) were not fully accessible when HD was used as external
USB2 HD.

As I examine possibilities I see that there are "issues"
* 2.4 versus 2.6 kernel
* some USB2 manufacturers claim 300 Gb support but newegg reviews reject
this claim
* some USB2 manufacturers 300 Gb claim works for Maxtor HD but not
others!?!?!?!

Any advice on a robust external USB2 case (IDE to USB2) that would
support HD in 250-500 Gb range?

I never post, so my apologies ahead of time if I've blundered.
Bill Lutter