Re: Last Attempt at fixing DVD drives before abandoning Fedora Core

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 22:29 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Dave Gutteridge wrote:
>

> >> What happens if you boot with the ide=nodma argument to the kernel?

<snip>

> >> Do you have the jumpers on the DVD drive set appropriately for master
> >> and slave operation?
> >>

> > I dual boot to WinXP where the drives work perfectly. And have done so
> > under XP for years. So I am skeptical that it is a hardware settings
> > issue. If Linux handles such issues differently than WinXP, then I
> > would be willing to start making adjustments directly on the physical
> > hardware. But I would have to be told why and how first, as I would
> > think that under normal circumstances Windows and Linux shouldn't need
> > different CMOS or jumper settings for the same hardware.
>
> Neither one should need different settings from each other in my view.
> Hardware settings for the jumper should show up in either. I run a DVD
> burner as secondary on the secondary IDE controller and also have a
> CDROM burner as master on the secondary controller without problems. The
> Jumper is set to master on the CDROM burner and set to slave on the DVD
> burner. I would not think that you got away with two slaves on the bus
> for a long time.

I have seen several instances where jumpering the drive to master/slave
and using it on a cable-select cable caused problems.  Since most (if
not all) of the newer cables are cable-select I have jumpered all my
drives (my own as well as those i build for sale) to CS and have had no
problems.  It is possible he is seeing this symptom.

However, I also have problems with reading data DVDs on my drive.  Never
a problem with a movie DVD but just the data ones.