Re: Samba PDC does not work

On 7/23/05 2:33 AM, "Martin Carlsson" <martin.carlsson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Vidol Loeung skrev:
>
>> Dear All:
>>
>> Has anyone been able to make Samba PDC work on RHEL4? It seems to have
>> problem. It wouldn't add the machine trust account with the 'add user
>> script' directive.
>>
>> And when I tried the command:
>> # useradd -M 'testpc$'
>>
>> It said "Invalid user name".
>>
>> Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vidol
>>

> Maybe if you just type: useradd -M testpc
>
> What is the ' and the $ for?

For some reason, Samba requires the account to have this at the bottom. I
know that in the NT 4 world, a share that ends with a '$' character is
considered a hidden share. I think that this is the same for user$.

On my FC3 box, which is a PDC for a bunch of Windows XP Pro machines, I use
the following script:

# machacct_create.sh
/bin/bash
useradd -g users -d /dev/null -s /dev/null $1\$
smbpasswd -a -m $1

Usage is: ./machacct_create.sh FooBar

I hope that this helps.