Double Layer DVD problem - help

Simple question (I posed it previously but probably wasn't clear)

I have a dual-layer dvd burner (Sony DVD RW DRU-720A) which I got to replace my old dvd burner.

I can successfully burn single layer dvd's with no trouble on this drive - and after testing it works fine under windows.

However every dual-layer dvd I've burned so far is now an expensive coaster. I have reread the docs I can find, but don't see any additional options for the dual-layer dvd's ...

If somebody could give me some help on this one I'd appreciate it.

Notes: same results (failure) with both mkisofs ... cdrecord and just using k3b. Tried on both DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL.

cdrecord-2.01.1; kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3; minimal system activity;
no underruns reported at all.

My normal script is simple (here's the stripped-down version):

    #!/bin/sh
    cd ${1}
    mkisofs -o /<somewhere>/XXX.iso -R -f -T -v -A \
	"XXX" -V "XXX" .
    (mount and verify the iso image, then unmount it)
    cdrecord --dev=/dev/hdc -v -dao speed=16 -data /<somewhere>XXX.iso

resulting single-layer dvd-r works fine. double not recognized and won't mount on any drive (on several machines with differing OS's).

I presume I'm missing an option here some place, but haven't found it yet... so someone please give me a clue if you can.

Thanks,
  william austin
    waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx