Re: Last Attempt at fixing DVD drives before abandoning Fedora Core

 This will be the most complete description of the problem, and if
 this doesn't do it, then I have to call it quits.

 1. The Set Up: Fedora Core 4, complete yum update as of minutes
 before writing this email, latest kernel. Desktop PC, Pentium III,
 600Mhz.

The output of lspci might help people understand the hardware specifics that your computer has.

 2. The Problem: When I put any kind of DVD, whether it's data or
 video, into my DVD drives, they work poorly or not at all. Data CDs
 and Audio CDs work fine, and I can even *write* DVDs on my external
 DVD player and burn CDs on my other drives. It's only in reading DVDs
 that the problem arrises.

 External USB DVD drive: Will usually show the DVD icon on the
 desktop, but copying data is extremely slow and will almost always
 fail. I have succeeded maybe once or twice in copying data from a DVD
 when the amount of data is less than 100 MB. But not reliably, and
 not in any pattern that I can reproduce.

I haven't tried an external USB DVD burner yet. I will soon get one where I could try out. Using an internal drive, I commonly transfer 2 gig files from the DVDs to a hard drive. Other than the one smp kernel version killing the machine with defective DVDs, I had no problem transferring files as large as 2 GB.

 Internal DVD 1: Putting a DVD in this drive causes the light to flash
 as if it is reading, but no icon comes up and it does not become
 accessible. Ejection is impossible unless I reboot and press the
 front eject button during the power on sequence, or if I force an
 ejection by inserting a pin into the manual eject hole on the front
 of the drive. This DVD drive is on the sequence of boot devices
 (between floppy disk and before hard drive), so if there is a DVD
 present in the time of booting, it will delay the boot process by
 five to ten minutes and eventually show an error before booting.

This sounds more like a hardware settings issue. Do you have the jumpers on the DVD drive set appropriately for master and slave operation? What OS are you trying to boot with the 5 minute hang? I also had one Memorex 2x CDROM burner that loaded down the controller too much and failed at times. Changing to another CD burner, which I still use corrected the problem.

 Internal DVD 2: Will spend about a minute reading the DVD before an
 icon shows up on the desktop. Copying takes a long time (at least
 twice the time it takes to copy the same number of files under
 Windows XP), but it will actually complete. However, while it is
 copying files, it seems to slow the whole system down, to the point
 where mouse movement and typing is delayed.

I wouldn't be able to compare one to the other. I see no differences between the two OS performance levels. I hardly use the XP OS on the system though.

 In Xine, when attempting to play a DVD, or an audio CD from my DVD
 drive, I get the following error: There is no plugin available to
 handle 'dvd:/'. Maybe MRC syntax is wrong or file/stream dource does
 not exist.

Xine does not give me this error. I do get this error with totem though. Where are you getting Xine from?

 I hope someone will be able to figure out what the issue is and help
 me get this resolved.

 Dave

 Additional info: Here is what is in the auto.misc file: cd
 -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom

 Here is the result of ls -l /dev/dvd:
[root@localhost dev]# ls -l /dev/dvd
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jul 14 2005 /dev/dvd -> hdb

 Here are the results of hdparm:
>[root@localhost dev]# hdparm -i /dev/dvd
>/dev/dvd:
 Model=RICOH DVD/CDRW MP9060, FwRev=1.50, SerialNo= Config={ Fixed
 Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic } RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0,
 SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0 BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
 CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0 IORDY=on/off,
 tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120} PIO modes: pio0
 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4 DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
 AdvancedPM=no

 * signifies the current active mode

 [root@localhost dev]# hdparm -i /dev/dvd1

 /dev/dvd1:

 Model=SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608, FwRev=bp22, SerialNo= Config={ Fixed
 Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic } RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0,
 SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0 BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
 (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0 IORDY=on/off,
 tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120} PIO modes: pio0
 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4 DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
 AdvancedPM=no

 * signifies the current active mode

 [root@localhost dev]# hdparm -i /dev/dvd2

 /dev/dvd2: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Invalid argument [root@localhost
 dev]# hdparm -i /dev/dvdwriter

 /dev/dvdwriter: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Invalid argument

It looks like the two internals are working in mdma2 mode and /dev/dvd2 is completely unknown by Linux. Try searching for mdma2 and see what you come up with. I found the link below that may show an earlier RH related thread you can sift through.

Good Luck!

Jim

--
GIVE UP!!!!