RE: FC4 and No logs

When I do a "service syslog status", I'm getting the following response
Translated to English,

Syslogd is dead, but PID exists
Klogd (pid 1512) is running

On the console I'm getting "syslogd:0 /dev/console: permission denied"

I'm starting to think that it might be selinux that has screwed something
up.