What is the deal with Gnome sessions?

I've been using FC3 since January and have religiously up2dated as each new package became available. This is the first Redhat system I've used, although I have been a linux user since '94. Generally things work pretty well, but I am having some problems initiating and terminating gnome sessions. With me, after selecting a gnome session from gdm, the session hangs for a full 3 minutes, then continues to start the session and everything is okay. With my wife, the session hangs when *closing* it, also for a full 3 minutes. If I use KDE, I do not have this problem, but I have gotten used to gnome and would like to make it useable. It's a pain to login and have to wait for 3 minutes before being able to do something... This problem has been going on for probably 2 months, but I cannot correlate it with any specific updates. I have tried to debug the session, notice which processes start before vs. after the hang, etc, but so far I can't get a handle on it. *PLEASE, gnome fans and gurus*, give me a hint at what might cause this. I don't really want to switch over to KDE, but I might have to take some desperate action. I also have burned the media for FC4, and I have considered just upgrading, but based on some of the "crumbling world" posts here, I am a bit reluctant for that.
Anyway, I hope somebody can give me some insight.
Thanks in advance!
Paul