Re: mail-notification: need alert popup or icon

Am Freitag, den 22.07.2005, 12:00 -0500 schrieb Mike McCarty:
> Radek Vok�wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 15:26 +0900, Saurabh Siddharth wrote:
>
> [I'd like notification when mail arrives with GNOME]
>
> > Check mail-notification from fedora-extras
>
> I've got three questions in this regard.
>
> First, how does one check mail-notification from
> fedora-extras?

Install it with

yum install mail-notitication

or, if fedora-extras are not enabled in yum use

yum --enable-repo=extras install mail-notification

Then start it from the menu, set up you mailboxes and to give it a
try ;-)

> Second, I'm using Thunderbird to do mail pulls from an external
> server provided by my ISP. How would GNOME be able to notice
> that I had pulled mail via POP?

mail-notification watches you local spool. On remote servers it just
checks in paralell to your TB.

> Third, if it can't, then how on Earth do I get Thunderbird
> to do that? I've checked "make a notification sound", and
> "use the default system sound", and no sound. I've then
> put in a custom sound (actually just one of the system .wav
> files for a sort of a "pop" sound), and nothing came out.

AFAIK this has been reported to be buggy.

> And there doesn't seem to be any way to get a visual indication,
> either.

I suggest not to use mail-notification for your purpose but rather
http://moztraybiff.mozdev.org/ which is an excellent extension to TB and
works with all freedesktop compatible desktops (Gnome, KDE, XFCE and
many more).

> Mike

Christoph