Re: routing, iptables & nat

> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 22:42 -0500, Bill McCormick wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to use my FC3 box to control outcoing traffic but still use my
>> Netgear router as the main FW. How can I accomplish this?
>>
>> My network (it's a home setup) is pretty basic and looks like this:
>>
>> Internet <----> DSL Router (NG FVS318) <-----> LAN
>>
>> The LAN is a a wired FC3 and some wired and wireless Windows machines.
>> Currently, all clients with IP greater than the FC3 must proxy through
>> squid et. al. on the FC3; the router blocks everything unless its from
>> FC3. The FVS318 forwards incomging http, imap-ssl, pop-ssl, and ssl to
>> the FC3.
>
> Firestarter (http://www.fs-security.com/) works well for me on my home
> network, as well as for a local secondary firewall on work boxes.
> Haven't made much use of the outgoing traffic rules, but the capability
> exists in the GUI - can be either "Permissive/blacklist" or
> "Restrictive/whitelist".

or just set your fc-box with 2 nics as a router.

for this, set in /etc/sysctl.conf the following:

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

to get your box immediatly as a router without rebooting, do this:

echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

your box will route immediately. make sure, port 3128 for your squid is
opened on the fc for your clients. On your clients, set your FC3-Box as
default Gateway. On the FC3-Box, set your FVS318 as default gateway. This
should do what you want.

HTH
Roger