RE: Samba Authentication problem -- one machine only!!!

> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 17:05 -0400, Tim Holmes wrote:
> >
> > Hi phil -- the firewalls are shut off on all the machines -- we are
> > behind a hardware firewall and do not need the internal ones -- as a
> > result -- they do more harm than good
>
> Well, that's not the problem, but a bit of unsolicited/OT advice.
Good
> security is built in layers.  I'm behind a pretty robust center-level
> firewall also, but learned the hard way that it is not impervious.
> We've had several cases of bad guys getting through the main firewall
> and running rampant on the machines inside (mostly those foolish
people
> that were not up-to-date on security patches, and/or Windoze boxes).
> run local firewalls on each machine I'm responsible for.  I like
> firestarter for the individual-machine firewalls.  Makes it pretty
> painless.
>
> http://www.fs-security.com/
>
> Phil
[Tim Holmes]
Ya -- I hear u on the layers, and If I can ever get things working
right, I may very well start turning them on.  As it is, right now, Im
new to linux admin, and don't need anything complicating things more
than they already are. LOL