I am beginning to hate grub.

Hello everybody,
Since fc1 the only real problems which I have had on my desktop computer at home is with grub. Perhaps I hate it because I just don't understand it. Example I installed version four on the second home computer and had no problems at all. In fact I am really happy with it. So I decided to put it on the main computer which has about the same config but more ram : well, it did not get past grub stage 2 (in fact I overtopped a beautiful fc3 version.) I tried to find the answer on the archives but to no avail, so I decided to put fc3 back on the box and grub worked like a charm. Just what went wrong? Why ok. on three and deadlegged on four? I am dual booting with windows, and grub in the boot sector of the first disk hda1 so two disks. Windows on the first ide disk 120 giga et fedora on the second 40 giga. Does anyone have any simple answers to this question please. yours sincerely John Brennan-Sardou.