Re: SETENV Command

I did give this command
export
PHRED_PARAMETER_FILE=/usr/local/etc/PhredPar/phred.dat
 and then I could run the program well, but the
environment variable is set transiently ie when i
logout and then relogin i need to give this command
again to set the env variables. I think this works
only locally, I am using an other program (Partigene)
that calls the Phred program to do a set of jobs and
here i face a lot of difficulty.
How can i set up the env variable Globally and not
Locally such that I dont have to set it up everytime I
run phred.

also: Does editing the file .cshrc and.login help? how
do I do that?. Is it safer to edit these files.

- thnks
ash