Re: Problem with Java plugin and FC4

Eric Tanguy wrote:
Le mardi 19 juillet 2005 �0:58 +0100, Paul Howarth a �it :

stan mcintosh wrote:

This past weekend, I spent an inordinate amount of time reinstalling and reconfiguring FC4 after I lost internet and e-mail only to find out that the problem was that my router had a siezure. Next time, I'll check the simple stuff first. The first time I installed FC4, I followed the FC4 installation notes on Stanton Finley's page, and all went well. This time, I am having trouble with the browser Java plugin. I'm betting that I messed something up in the symbolic link line:

ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/*****/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Where I have used 'mozilla,' 'firefox,' and 'firefox-1.0.4' in place of the '*****.'

Anyone know what I need to check next?

A better (i.e. RPM-based) method of installing Java (including plugin details) can be found at:

http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4

Paul.

The problem is "If you've installed java-1.5.0-sun-plugin and you want
to use it with firefox, you'll need to set up the link manually as there
is a small bug in the java-1.5.0-sun-plugin package that causes it not
to set up the link properly for the FC4 firefox package." and it's still
not solved!

The referenced article does tell you how to work around that though.

The impression I got on the JPackage list was that they're just going to put the link under /usr/lib/mozilla in future versions, where it should work for a wide variety of browsers. No more messing about with numbered versions.

Paul.