Re: scanModem, Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg), Kernel kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC3

taharka wrote:
M.Hockings wrote:

I am trying to get a ltmodem driver going for my computer. The machine is an older P400 IBM Aptiva that came with an internal v90/fax/voice modem. Now that the machine has Fedora Core 3 installed the modem is identified as an "unknown device" with the name "LT Win Modem". The pnpdump tool identifies it as "GVC5719/1710593[0] {LT Win Modem}". Looking at the hardware it is an ISA card with a big black plastic shroud over most of the card. The scanModem output is at the bottom of the note.

<snip>

If you must use an internal modem with Unix/Linux & you have a free pci slot, yank that ISA winmodem. Replace with a "Multi-Tech Systems, Inc." pci Unix/Linux certified modem. Headaches will be long gone ;-)
Website; www.multitech.com

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

Yup, looked at them and they do sound good. Actually I meant to send this off to the linmodem crowd but my fingers have been very fat. Right now I'm just trying to get some modem to work with what we have until I can get the nod to purchase something better. This one is now almost working, it talks to wvdial but just isn't yet going off hook.

Mike