Re: password limits of 8 characters on FC4

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 21:35 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Gregory P. Ennis writes:
>
> > On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 20:07 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> >
> >> Run 'authconfig'.
> >>
> >> You should have both “Use MD5 Passwords” and “Use Shadow Passwords” checked
> >> under the “Authentication” section.
> >> --
> > Sam,
> >
> > Thanks for helping.  I ran authconfig and both MD5 and Shadow are
> > checked.  I did not see any parameter for the length of the password in
> > authconfig!
> >
> > Any other ideas?
>
> Traditional crypted passwords that use DES are limited to eight characters
> due to the built-in nature of the DES algorithm.  MD5 passwords can be of
> any length.
>
> It looks like for some reason you're using DES to encrypt your passwords,
> when you should be using MD5.
>
> Your /etc/pam.d/system-auth file should include:
>
> password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
>
> And your /etc/pam.d/passwd file should contain:
>
> password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
>
> Perhaps something overwrote various files in your /etc/pam.d directory.

Thank you for your time and suggestion!

I checked both files and the proper entry is present in both files.

 This is a fresh install, and the only unusual change that I made was to
change the name of the machine.  This has caused a problem with gnome
not recognizing the machine name properly at the time of logon.  I have
not been able to debug that yet.  There may be other things I have not
recognized as important but that is the only problem I have had.
Everything else went smoothly.