Re: Dual boot problem -

At 8:18 PM -0400 7/15/05, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>I tried manipulating the BIOS settings and I know that wont do it.
>
>In the past I installed Windows first and then the Linux installation took
>care of the Lilo/Grub installation and it "just worked,"  But not so this
>time with Windows 2000 and FC-4!  Obviously I am missing something in
>the installation routine but don't know what I'm doing wrong?

ISTM that you have the Linux set up for grub, but just aren't booting from
it, but from MSWindows booting stuff instead.  If you want to make the
least possible change to your installation, and to the machine's normal
user, I suggest adding a new choice to the (presumably, hopefully) already
existing MSWindows boot.ini to chain to grub.  This can be done by copying
the Linux bootsector to a file on MSWindows, call it linux.bin, and adding
a line to boot.ini like:

C:\linux.bin="Fedora Linux"

Also make sure that the timeout is big enough to use.

The devil is in the details.  Probably the MSWindows disk is using NTFS.
It will be hard for either OS to work with the other's filesystem.
Probably what I'd fumble my way through would be to use the Rescue CD to
mount a floppy and run the dd command to copy the bootsector to a file;
then I'd reboot into MSWindows and copy the file from the floppy onto C:
and modify the boot.ini file.

If boot.ini doesn't exist (?) there is a control-panel like thing in My
Computer (? not running MSWindows at the moment) for editing it, and it
might be able to create it and install any other needed files.  That would
save grovelling around on the MS web site.  In my case, I was already
dual-booting WinXP and Win98.