Re: Sound in KDE FC4

Charles Heselton wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of david walcroft
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 6:46 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Sound in KDE FC4

Hi
 I still seem to have problems in getting Alsa to work with
KDE,OSS works ok but Alsa brings up an error that "device: default
can't be  opened for playback (Permission denied)" when starting in
Sound System.

I tried this "cat /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav > /dev/dsp"
and returned distortion and screeching.

Any ideas as to what is going on please

Are trying this as root or another user?  I had a problem where the
sound would work in root, but not as a normal user.  Adding the user
to the "audio" group worked for me.

No I'm  using it as user and there is no "audio" in groups only david:root
owner:group in /dev/snd,dcp,audio,*

 david