Re: (no subject)

At 12:58 PM -0500 7/15/05, Les Mikesell wrote:

>> > Ok, how do *I* register my hopes that this won't go away?
>>
>> If you're a "power user", you'll be able to get it back by adding some
>> sort of extension (I think someone's packaging it for Extras). Otherwise
>> you'll need to get on the gnome mailing lists and complain about it
>> there, but I suspect that the developers will not agree with you.
>
>The replacement: being able to open a terminal in the visited directory
>makes much more sense.  I've never quite understood the concept of a
>GUI interface that lets you view files without really knowing where
>they are but won't let you issue commands referencing them after you
>can see them.

I don't understand it either.  To see where I am, I either open a
Preference window on a file and copy the Location, or Copy the file itself
and paste it into a Terminal window command.  One of these is more
intuitive than the other, but neither has much to recommend it.  Also, the
second unfortunately includes a trailing newline, making it a bit tricky to
use.

Nautilus should show the path in its title bar.  The better UIs aren't so
much "graphical" as "visible", in that what you need to see and use is
visible.  In this vein, hiding Terminal is a mistake, as it makes it harder
for "unsophisticated" users to get help ("OK, open a terminal and type
this.  What do you see?"  "What do you mean 'Open a terminal'?").