Re: Updating with yum -- etc

Tim Holmes wrote:

I have built several servers using Fedora Core 3, and normally, I

use

yum to keep them up to date with no problems -- it works nicely,
however, I have one particular one which uses the newer version of

MySQL

-- 4.1xx

When I run a yum update, yum wants to roll me back to version 3x,

which

is obviously not desirable.  Is this normal behavior, or am I doing
something wrong.  I would like to get everything up to date, so that

am not running the risk of security vulnerabilities.

Did you install MySQL 4.x using rpms, and not using any daft options
like --nodeps or --force? If so, yum should not be doing this.

Can you report the output of:
$ rpm -qa | grep -i mysql
on this machine?

Paul.

[Tim Holmes]
Hi Paul:

Thanks for your response

I just installed straight up from the rpms -- it went quite smoothly as
well - this was a fresh rebuild of the server

Here is the output of that command

[root@srvweb-01 ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i mysql
MySQL-client-4.1.12-1
MySQL-server-4.1.12-1