Re: New thread, was do not install fc4

On Friday 15 July 2005 10:43, Ben Stringer wrote:
>On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 14:55 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Back again...
>>
>> Ok, I tried to boot the other, older kernal.  It boots correctly
>> to runlevel 3, and I'm logged in as root.  And ssh'd into it now
>> also.
>>
>> But when I tried to startx, it fails. The last line in the
>> Xorg.0.log
>
>I'd suggest you also start (at least) xfs as well. Runlevel 3 will
> not start any services X needs, and xfs is one of those.
>
>Cheers, Ben

Among other things, xfs was also a casualty of the update, it
segfaults since the update was done.

And, as I said in a previous post, its all moot. I gave FC4 the old
college try, 8 total installs, 3 of which actually worked before
turning yum loose on them.

For my 9th re-install, I used a bdi-4.20 disk, which is debian sarge
based with a 2.6 kernel and adeos for the emc required realtime
stuff.  Other than being a stripped distro (like vim was not
installed, but a quick run of apt-get install vim mozilla fixed my
two main itches.

I don't know what more I can say about bdi-4.20 other than it Just
Works(TM).  Those FC4 disks, all 9 of them, are only going wherever
the trashman hauls them.  I've wasted enough of my remaining time on
them.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)