Re: RAID-1 boot partition and FC2->FC4 upgrade

Jack Howarth wrote:
    Success. I decided to go ahead and do the upgrade with
the skip the boot loader update option. The upgrade seems to
have gone well enough since I can reboot. The only downside
so far is that 1) yun and up2date don't seem to work...

up2date
Repository base already added, not adding again

You haven't been though ~root/upgrade.log and merged the .rpmnew/.rpmsave config files it mentions, have you?

What's happening here is that probably that you have the same repos defined in both yum.conf and yum.repos.d. Fix your repos and make sure they're pointing to FC4 versions before trying a yum update.

... and 2) all of my RAID-1 mirrors are degraded. That happened last time
I tred my test run of the FC4 installer and I was able to hotadd back
the other slices without any problems.

Strange; I didn't see that problem.

Do you have a /etc/mdadm.conf file? It's not actually *needed* but if you have one you can get your system to send you an email if one of the mirrors degrades.

You can create one from scratch using:

# mdadm --detail --scan > /etc/mdadm.conf

and then append a line:

MAILADDR you@xxxxxxxxxxx

and it will send email to you@xxxxxxxxxxx if there's a problem with your arrays (make sure that the mdmonitor service is running though).

Paul.