Re: Distrowatch: What went wrong with Fedora Core 4

On Thursday 14 July 2005 21:22, Dave Jones wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 08:41:03PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > The real question seems to me, how did this new kernel get past
> > testing if it won't even boot?  Thats now
> > vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4, the matching initrd, System.map etc.
> > The .1-1369 seems to be ok if I don't want to run X.
>
>The revelation this week seems to be that the livna nvidia rpm broke
>modprobe.conf on a number of installations. Did you have this
> installed by any chance ?

What would be the full name of that rpm?  There is not a livna entry
in any of the files in /etc/yum.repos.d if that helps.  They are
exactly as installed.

This is an nvidia card, a 5200 something with 128 megs of ram. From an
lspci:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
5200] (rev a1)

> The number of 'my initrd broke' bugs
> that got filed over the last month or so has really gone through
> the roof, and my current bet is that this is the cause for the bulk
> (if not all) of them.
>
>The kernels that get pushed out to updates do see testing by both
>myself, and users of the updates-testing branch.  However, this
> doesn't cover every possible hardware combination out there.

This board has an onboard video controller, turned off in the bios as
it eats 90% of the cpu to drive it.  It doesn't show in the lspci at
all.

>So the situation is.. not all people don't test the -testing
> updates, and then some folks complain that the updates that go out
> aren't tested. There's really nothing more that I can do to get
> things tested. Some updates even spend quite a while in -testing.
> (Sometimes, I even if they've spent too long in -testing).
>
>  Dave

I posted a verbatum copy of the screen in a previous message, the
error is output immediately after the 'booting the kernel' message.
The language is a bit obtuse, but I believe its because it cannot
find the hard drive(s) once the vmlinuz file is loaded and the exec
begun.  Something about unknown_*****(0,0) to be inexact.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)