Re: Xorg and VNC Errors

Joseph Green wrote:

Tony Nelson wrote:

At 11:55 AM -0700 7/14/05, Joseph Green wrote:
Joseph Green wrote:

My boss ran up2date on one of his FC3 systems (4x 2.66 GHz Xeon, 4GB
memory) which had been running fine until he did that. He didn't know
about yum, and I'm not exactly sure what was updated, but now when it
boots, the text scrolls out like normal, but when it gets to the
graphical part of the boot proccess, the screen goes black. There is
no login prompt displayed and it doesn't come back at all, it just
remains black (the monitor is not in power save mode either). When the
system seems to be up and running, I can still SSH into it, access the
website it is hosting, and use almost all of the terminal tools.
However, and I'm assuming that this has to do with the X issue, I can
not VNC into the box to get a remote desktop. This is the error I'm
getting from VNC:

Some information that I had left out: for some reason I can't even
switch to any of the consoles (ctrl+F2 or ctrl+alt+F2) on the machine
either.

This could be a problem that has been reported for FC4 users, where the
consoles are all black or mostly black with a colored border. That one I think is caused by an update to libvgahw.a and cured by replacing it with
the old "FC3" one.  Since you can still ssh into it, you might want to
check the version of the package it came in:

$ yum provides libvgahw.a
xorg-x11.i386 6.8.2-1.FC3.13 installed
Matched from:
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a

Running 'yum provides libvgahw.a" I got:

[root@webcal ~]# yum provides libvgahw.a

xorg-x11.i386 6.8.1-12 base Matched from:
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a

xorg-x11-sdk.i386 6.8.1-12 base Matched from:
/usr/X11R6/lib/Server/modules/libvgahw.a

xorg-x11-sdk.i386 6.8.2-1.FC3.13 updates-released
Matched from:
/usr/X11R6/lib/Server/modules/libvgahw.a

xorg-x11.i386 6.8.2-1.FC3.13 updates-released
Matched from:
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a

xorg-x11-sdk.i386 6.8.2-1.FC3.13 installed Matched from:
/usr/X11R6/lib/Server/modules/libvgahw.a

But when I try to update xorg-x11.i386 I get "Could not find update match for xorg-x11.i386, No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion". When it says "updates-released" that means that version isn't technically installed on the system, right? Should I remove and then re-install xorg? Could this be a problem with trying to use up2date first and then trying to use yum?

thank you very much for your help so far Tony and NE

-joseph

okay, so for starters, I stopped being stupid and looked at ALL the Xorg threads I could find, not just ones that seemed to pertain to my problem. I combined a few ideas and seem to have fixed my issue for now. I grabbed all of the 6.8.1 packages for xorg, and did a 'rpm -Uvh --oldpackage' on them all. Then, I ran 'yum update xorg-x11-base' and installed that and it's "dependancies" which consisted of xorg-x11-xfs and xorg-x11-libs. Yum didn't update any of the other packages (even though I had replaced everything with v6.8.1, and all the other packages showed up when I did a yum check-update) and suddenly, vnc works perfectly. I have yet to check the system on boot, because I can't reboot it again until tomorrow morning, but for now I'm satisfied with vnc working again.

I'd like to once again thank Tony and N. Emile, as well as Paul Howarth who provided the information for manually downgrading packages with the rpm command in another thread.

-joseph