Re: Can't hear sound on Dell X1

Tony Nelson wrote:
At 1:37 PM -0400 7/8/05, Lovell Mcilwain wrote:

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Run alsamixer in a terminal and check for muted (M) settings.

The external amplifier was muted.  Once I unmutted it, I was able to hear sound with no problem.

The following are muted or off:
Headphone Jack Sense
Line Jack Sense
Mic
Mic Boost (+20dB)
Phone
IEC958
IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA
Aux
Stero Mic

First, try unmuting the ones that are outputs.  Make sure that any digital
outputs are on (e.g., PCM).

Second, it is possible that the alsamixer display is wrong, and it may help
to twiddle everything (putting each thing back where you found it).  This
situation can happen when new settings are created (?).

Third, some such problems are fixed by running as root:

$ su -
# gst-register-0.8

Fourth, there has been much good (and some bad) advice on the list over the
past couple of months about such problems.  Searching the list archive does
not work, but here's a list mirror to search:

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

or use Google, but Google isn't as current:

    <search terms> site:www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list