Re: Forced FSCK on Bad Reboot

Jonathan Jefferies wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Frankly, I'd rather use write-through.

I believe there are three modes that ext3 can be setup to do journelling
one of which may be write through. Believe those modes are set at
fdisk time.

In any case, I don't see any argument for not using an extended fsck on
a reboot after improper shutdown, which was my original question.

Uh, on a megabyte or 10 - 30 GIG hard drive it's a minor inconvenienc. Running fsck on a 250 GIG hard drive or worse a system which has terra byte systems
is something else. Can you say major delays?

J.

I guess it's a matter of how important one's data are, and
when the last backup was done. I come from a Telecom background,
where the loss of even one day's transactions can mean $100M USD
or more. Having a disc check take a few hours is nothing by
comparison with the risk of data loss in that context.

I still haven't seen an argument against having the default mode
be do an extended check.

Is there a way to change the default reboot mode?

Mike