Re: Dial-in server with FC

M.Hockings wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to create a single line dial-in server that will allow a remote computer to dial into our network and pass-through to the internet as required. Is this possible with Fedora? I have two boxes available, one running FC1 with not modem at the moment and another running FC3 with a modem it identifies as "LT Win Modem - HSM0140" under Unknown Devices.

So I guess I have two questions

1) is it possible to do what I want with Fedora (nothing really found on Google though I don't know what to look for)

2) is the Win Modem usable (the how-to I found involved building kernels & stuff which I'd rather avoid)

Thanks for any thoughts or pointers.

Mike

This is certainly turning into an impossible task. I have found that there apparently are drivers that should for the LT ISA modem but I have yet to get one to work. None of the rpms that I have found or found references to are complete. That is they either don't exist like
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/kernel-module-ltmodem/
or the dependent rpms don't exist like the similar rpm from atrpms that is looking for a matching ltmodem-knrl....at that doesn't exist.

I found the source for the ltmodem driver and it more or less compiles on FC3 ok with only a pointer type mismatch warning. But when I try to load it the insmod tells me something about mismatched symbols. But I am basically just a Linux user and have no idea what that means or how to fix it. This FC3 box is fully up2date'd.

I have even tried putting a modem based on the Intel 537ep chipset in the FC1 box. For this I got the driver source from Intel, it built more or less ok, did the install but going through their checklist I again hit a similar mismatched symbols error and the module fails to load.

Now given that the only serial port external modem that I can find available locally is about $149 I really can't see that amount of direct $ being made available for this minor project even though the two afternoons that I've wasted trying for sure cost more.

So unless someone has a good idea how to get the modem in either of these boxes to talk with Linux I'm planning on rebooting the FC3 box into Windows and setting it up there. Less reliable I know but I know it can talk to the modem.

Mike

BTW, as a reference I saw that a modem like the Intel one sells for $12 with Windows drivers & extra goodies.