Re: [OT] Advice wanted on packaging a program I wrote.

Tony Nelson wrote:
I need to find out how to package a program for distribution on Linux.  On
MacOS, and for the things I've done on MSWindows, a drag-install suffices
for either the built application or for the source.

Yes, but these systems result in an astronomical amount of duplaicated libraries etc. getting installed.

> Apparantly RPM comes
into play after the program has been packaged for distribution in some
other way, and I haven't been asking the right question.

What is the right question?  Is it "How do I package my program for
distribution in order to get it ready for packaging by RPM"?

I don't think there's a single answer to that question.

How about this: given the source code for your package, what exact steps would you take to install that package on your system if you weren't using RPM?

Paul.