Re: iptables question

On Jul 11, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Scot L. Harris wrote:

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 17:08, Margaret Doll wrote:

I am having problems with getting Fedora 3 to Display xwindows across
the network.

I have variations of RedHat system from 7.3 to Enterprise 3 and
Fedora 3.  I use ipchains or iptables along with /etc/hosts.allow to
control access to the systems.

The Fedora 3 systems are allowing ssh/sftp into them from specific
addresses only and allowing nfs mounts, but they are not allowing me
to ship a DISPLAY across the network.

You need to make sure you have X11 forwarding enabled with ssh.

You can do this by modifying the sshd_config file or by using the - X or
-Y options when you startup ssh.

You will also need to use xhost to allow another system to send a
dispaly to your system.  xhost + opens up permissions to all systems.
You can refine that to allow specific systems.

It would help if you posted the specific error your are getting as well
as specific commands you are using to attempt this.

If you use ssh to do the x11 forwarding for you you don't need to mess
with iptables as long as you allow ssh to connect to the remote system.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Honesty is for the most part less profitable than dishonesty.
        -- Plato

I have

#X11Forwarding no
X11Forwarding yes
#X11DisplayOffset 10

in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

I have the systems names in each of the computers' /etc/hosts files.

My session is

xhost computer1
ssh myaccount/computer1

login procedure