Re: Can't Configure System Settings Anymore

At 12:36 AM -0400 7/9/05, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
>On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 19:43:30 -0700, Rashan Jibowu wrote:
>> Can someone please help? How can I get the programs
>> under "System Settings" to work again?
>>

>I've had similar problems. After fresh installation I think I was able to
>configure everything from the gui config tools, then I noticed
>system-config-network won't write out the files properly, nor would
>system-config-securitylevel. Probably others too. Luckily I've been using
>RedHat since 5.0, and I can do all that at the prompt, but I feel sorry
>for the new people.
>
>Maybe on other people's systems it works fine, but based on my own
>experience, without a doubt FC4 is the buggiest release I've ever seen.
>And, again, I've seen since 5.0 every single day.
>
>Other than that it's fine. :)

I would hazard a guess that many such issues stem from SELinux.  Have you
tried booting with kernel parameter "enforcing=0", and does that help
either of you?

SELinux seems to need all the details right, but when they aren't, the
resulting malfunctions are obscure.  Since everyone will never be trained
to look in the logs each time, I think there should be an SELinux screamer
widget like the Up2Date one in the Toolbar (though it -- both of them --
should actually work reliably).  The SELinux one should have an icon for
denials; clicking on that should show what it just denied (or maybe the
last few (recent) things denied), with an explanation that the denial might
be a good thing, or a bad thing, but that in any case it happened, and that
icon should appear immediately upon a denial.  It should also have icons
for other situations, such as that a recently installed update requires a
reboot for proper functioning, or that an SELinux update is available.  In
general, Up2Date is a good model for behavior, though perhaps not for
implementation. ;)