Re: assigning multiple ip addresses to NIC on bootupm, how?

On Saturday 09 July 2005 09:31, Ferindo Middleton Jr wrote:

> I run the following commands at the shell to  assign the
> additional ip address to my FC4 server's NIC.
> ifconfig eth0:2 192.168.1.3
> ifconfig eth0:3 192.168.1.4
>
> I do this because I need to make these additional addresses
> available for virtual hosts to accept requests  on my apache
> apache web server.
>
> How can I get these commands to run on boot up automatically
> without me having run them manually. My httpd service fails to
> start on boot up because it requires these addresses to already
> be available on the NIC, but my setup initially only bring eth0:1
> up on 192.168.1.2.
>
> Ferindo

As an addendum to Alexander's advice, you can also take a read
through the comments in the file:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-aliases

For example, I use the file:

ifcfg-eth0-range0

like so:

IPADDR_START=192.168.1.42
IPADDR_END=192.168.1.180
CLONENUM_START=0
NO_ALIASROUTING=yes

to create aliases for all addresses from ...42 to ...180 in a single
file which will be handy if you plan to expand your alias usage in
the future as you won't have to create individual files.

Regards, Mike Klinke