Re: VSFTPD not working after upgrade from FC3 to FC4

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 21:41 +0200, Andreas Jelvemark wrote:
> I upgraded from FC3 to FC4 a couple of weeks ago. Everything seems to
> be a success with the exception of VSFTPD which does not work anymore.
> I have tried to solve this on and off for the past two weeks but have
> had no success.
>
> Setup description:
> I have VSFTPD to be configured to use virtual users using the example
> in the EXAMPLES folder in the documentation. The Berkeley database is
> used to store the user name and passwords. All virtual users are mapped
> to the same user and chrooted into the same directory. The setup has
> worked from FC1 and survived upgrades to FC2 and FC3 without problems.
>
> xinetd is used as a superserver.
>
> I'll not include the conf-file here for brevity but it could be sent
> upon request.
>
> Error description:
>
> After connecting to the box VSFTPD puts up a welcome banner and prompts
> for a login.
> After the password has been entered the following error message
> appears:
>
> 500 OOPS: priv_sock_get_result
>
> and it quits.
>
> The same result both with or without the Xinetd superserver.
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> (1) Read somewhere that there might be a conflict if another program
> tries to use the same port, but issuing a netstat -a shows no other
> services using the ftp port. Tried in standalone listening mode and
> shut down xinetd but that still produced the same error.
>
> (2)I tried to switch off SELinux if that would have anything to do with
> it but to no avail (using the setenforce command).
>
> (3) I set PAM in debug mode thinking that it was the pam_userdb-module
> that did not work as intended. The output looked fine, e.g.
> ---cut---
> Jun 24 12:04:17 localhost pam_userdb[4854]: Verify user `x' with
> password `vannabragare'
> Jun 24 12:04:17 localhost pam_userdb[4854]: password in database is
> [0x96e3bd8]`x^Y', len is 12
> ---cut---
>
> (4) When setting vsftpd in "log every event mode" (or something like
> that) I got the following:
> ---cut---
> Fri Jun 24 10:06:15 2005 [pid 4877] [x] FTP response: Client
> "127.0.0.1", "331 Please specify the password."
> Fri Jun 24 10:06:17 2005 [pid 4877] [x] FTP command: Client
> "127.0.0.1", "PASS <password>"
> ---cut---
>
> No errors here either. I have no clue now.
>
> (5) When switching to anonymous mode, VSFTPD seems to work correctly.
> But why? And I don't want anonymous logins, I like the virtual user PAM
> approach.
>
> (6)-(999999)
> I have fiddled with all vsftpd.conf options impatiently and to no
> avail. I have also started to read the source code, but my C is very
> rusty and my time limited.
>
> Any ideas? I am getting very confused here... Since the primary use for
> [...]

Possibly the chroot environment.  It sounds like the failure point is
where the chroot takes affect.

Anonymous by default does a chroot as well.  If you copy the default
directory structure of the anonymous ftp users home to your virtual ftp
users home, then try logging in again, what happens?