Re: SSH publickey auth

Am Sa, den 09.07.2005 schrieb Michael Yep um 1:15:

> Ok, just to make sure I understand, basically PublicKey auth still uses
> a password,

Not a password, a passphrase. For example see

http://www.cs.utah.edu/support/faq/faq-ssh.html

"A passphrase is similar to a password, except it can be a phrase with a
series of words, punctuation, numbers, whitespace, or any string of
characters you want. Good passphrases are 10-30 characters long, are not
simple sentences or otherwise easily guessable (English prose has only
1-2 bits of entropy per character, and provides very bad passphrases),
and contain a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and
non-alphanumeric characters."

http://sial.org/howto/openssh/publickey-auth/

"Do not use your account password, nor an empty passphrase. The password
should be at least 16 characters long, and not a simple sentence. One
choice would be several lines to a song or poem, interspersed with
punctuation and other non-letter characters. The ssh-agent setup notes
below will reduce the number of times this passphrase will need to be
used, so using a long passphrase is encouraged."

> but it is better because you need 2 things, what you have (the
> certificate), and what you know (the password)

Correct. If someone can get your personal key he could simply do pubkey
auth to the target system when the key is not protected with a
passphrase. A key protected by a passphrase too needs the knowledge of
that passphrase. If you choose a well one (i.e. not just the name of
your wife or your dog and not something like "I love Linux") then brute
forcing the passphrase takes ages even for powerful machines.

> Michael Yep

And to avoid the need to always enter the passphrase each time you login
using pubkey, there is the ssh-agent. "man ssh-agent" is really
informative. On top of ssh-agent I recommend the tool keychain, to be
able to use your passphrase protected pubkey by cronjobs.

Alexander

Serendipity 01:53:24 up 13 days, 8:45, load average: 0.15, 0.30, 0.33