FC 4 Parallel Printer Configuration Troubles

Any assistance with the following conundrum would be greatly appreciated.

hardware: hp ze4220 laptop (i386 arch)
hp DeskJet 842c

I recently installed FC 4 and am struggling to install and configure my hp Deskjet 842c. I have tried the GUI tools in KDE and GNOME and have given CUPS and gimp-print a shot, but to no avail. The problem seems to lie in that the printer is connected to my laptop via a parallel port.

I hope that the following might aid the diagnosis of this problem:

1.
input:        [root@laptop ~]# lpadmin -d hpdeskjet842c
output:   lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused

(note: lpstat does not work either in terminal)

2.
input:         /usr/sbin/ptal-init setup
output:

Stopping the HP OfficeJet Linux driver.

This program manages devices controlled by the HP OfficeJet Linux
driver (hpoj).  It attempts to probe your computer for local parallel-
and USB-connected devices, and allows you to specify network addresses
for remote JetDirect-connected devices.

If you experience any difficulties in detecting your device(s), then
refer to the hpoj documentation for troubleshooting information.

Currently defined device names ([*]=default):
    (none)

Probe for parallel-connected devices ([y]/n)?  y

Successfully loaded kernel module "lp" for the device probe.

Warning: Probing incorrect I/O port addresses could result in system
instability and/or data loss!  Consult your hardware documentation, BIOS
setup and/or kernel messages to verify correct base addresses in the
following prompts.   Also, take care not to probe parallel ports that
have non-printer devices (such as disk or tape drives) connected.

Probe parallel port "-base 0x378 -basehigh 0x778 -device /dev/lp0" (y/[n])?  y

    *** Found "DESKJET 840C" but failed to communicate with it!
    *** Elapsed time for this attempt was 1 second(s).
    *** Check syslog file for ptal-mlcd error messages.
    *** See hpoj documentation for troubleshooting information.

Press <Enter> alone to continue, or if you would like to probe an
undetected parallel port, then enter its hexadecimal base address
(such as "378", "278", or "3BC") here --->

Probe for USB-connected devices ([y]/n)?  n

Press <Enter> alone to continue, or if you would like to add a
JetDirect-connected device, then enter its dotted-decimal
IP address or hostname here --->

Done updating device configuration files stored under /etc/ptal.
If you make manual changes to those files, then be sure to run
"/usr/sbin/ptal-init start" so they will take effect.

Starting the HP OfficeJet Linux driver.
    No hpoj devices have been configured.
    As root, run "/usr/sbin/ptal-init setup".

3. Upon connecting to 127.0.0.1:631 (the CUPS server, I believe) and attempting to "add printer", I am unable to select a device to go along with the printer whose name, location, and description I have specified. When I attempt to select a device, the drop-down menu is blank.

and, finally...

4. Using the GNOME Printer Configuration tool, I am able to add new queues; however, I have tried both the locally-connected ptal and /dev/lp0 devices AND the Networked CUPS (IPP) option, all of which result in the following error message upon test printing:

lpr: error - unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable

I hope that I have provided sufficient information. I would be most grateful for any assistance the community might be able to provide.

Thanks,

glaucon829