Re: Install Configurations (FC4) for future releases...

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 15:15 -0500, Panama Jack wrote:
> Does anyone know if they are going to Expand the installer to allow
> setting of the configuration for some packages before the install starts
> instead of using generic settings.
>
> An example would be the installation of PHP 5.0.4.  There are a number of
> switches in the ./configure that usually need to be adjusted fro the
> current default install.  If would be nice to be able to turn on mysql
> support, gd support or turn off certain switches.  As it stands now it is
> a MAJOR pain in the butt to change these things after the initial
> install.  Unless I am missing something it is not that simple to change
> these configurations.  You have to go through some MAJOR hoops just to
> change those switches because PHP and Apache2 are not installed in any
> manner similar to what is shown on the websites for those packages.
>
> If someone has an easier way to change the php configure switches without
> having to reinstall apache2 and php5 AFTER doing an FC4 install I would
> appreciate hearing about it.

The installer is installing pre-built binaries, no ./configure or make
is being run locally.

For PHP many things now (such as mysql and gd) are handled by modules
(just like for apache), take a look in /etc/php.d. MySQL support is
include with FC4, however it may not be selected by default in the
installer (it hasn't been in the past). If you install the php-mysql and
php-gd rpms you should be all set.

--
Brian Gaynor
www.pmccorp.com