Network slows down after network restart

My Ethernet speed drops down considerably after a "service network restart" on my FC4-x86_64. When the system boots the Ethernet is all fine (scp reports ~10 Mbytes/sec) but after a "service network restart" it drops to ~150 Kbytes/sec. The system is using the forcedeth reverse engineered driver for eth0. Even subsequent restarting of the network doesn't resolve this (but system reboot does). Any clues?

System config:
FC4-x86_64
Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard with Nvidia NFORCE 250Gb chipset
Athlon 64 3200+

--

Nirnimesh

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
	--Niels Bohr