Re: New Age Music can kill FC4

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 16:36 -0700, Hoffmann wrote:

>> Hi All:
>>
>> Since, finally, I got my CD drive working (reading my
>> music CDs), I became very happy, and I did a mistake
>> on the list. I replied to the list by including
>> 'Problem SOLVED' on the subject. However, I am not
>> sure if the original posting (Robert Cahn) already
>> solved his problem. So, let's move our attention to
>> him now. I mean, let's try to help him in his case.
>> Sorry for that Robert.
>> Best,
>> Hoffmann

> His problem is he bought a CD that does not conform to the Audio CD
> Standard.
> Basically - his CD is broken. It may be broken by design, but it is
> still broken. He should get a refund and in the future, only buy CD's
> that are not broken.

The OP might try turning off CD-related options in
Applications|Preferences|Removable Media to avoid the
kernel panic (someone else has suggested disabling hald,
but that seems a little broad-spectrum).  If the
system is running with a borked CD inserted it's often
possible to rip such CDs, even though they can't be
played as normal audio CDs (I find that more than a little
ironic).  Bit of a pity they treat customers like criminals
really.

--
imalone