Re: VDQ : search "/" how with FC4's GUI??

At 5:53 PM -0300 7/6/05, Ben Steeves wrote:
>On 7/6/05, beartooth <beartooth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> But your report seems at variance with what I see, or the way I understand
>> something. If I change the default "Home" under "Search for Files" to
>> "Other," I just get a list of files in /home/btth (my userID's home
>> folder)
>
>That's where is *starts*, but if you click on "Filesystem" on the
>left-hand side (where you can define your own shortcuts if you want by
>clicking Add, by the way), you can direct the search to any point on
>your filesystem.

Clicking on Filesystem only selects the list cell.  One must double-click
to do what single-clicking should do, show the contents of the item in the
right pane.  There is nothing useful to do with a selected list item.

>-- without even the .files, nor any way of displaying them
>
>Try right-clicking on the file list.  While you're at it, try typing
>the first few letters of the file or directory you're looking for...

The only thing that accepts right-clicks in this dialog is the file list on
the right, and that menu has only one item.  That item should have been a
button, but perhaps the author was being cute in hiding the command to show
hidden items.  As usual for right-clicks, nothing indicates that a
right-click is useful, nor that it is useless everywhere else in the dialog.

>-- much
>> less files like /etc or /usr. I don't even see a way to go up to /home and
>> back down to /home/backups (which I created, and scp'd stuff into as btth)
>> instead of staying in /home/btth.
>
>That should be obvious given the hints I've given you so far :-)

It isn't obvious.  To go down the directory hierarchy, double-click on a
right-pane folder (directory) entry.  To go up, click on one of the folder
names listed above the right list.  If the folder names won't all fit,
there will be scroll buttons on either side.

It isn't obvious that this dialog, unlike many others, is resizable.  It
may be more convenient to use if it is wider, able to show more of the open
folder hierarchy across the top.  Move the mouse to an edge of the window,
to where it turns into a bidirectional arrow, and click and drag to resize.

>> Unlike the other choices there, "filesystem" does give me two columns of
>> lists. Clicking on one in the right-hand column ungrays the Add button
>> under the other column; clicking on one in that column does nothing I can
>> see.
>
>A single click to select & launch is a KDE-ism.  Try double-clicking.

The number of UI problems with this dialog is at least as large as the
number of visible plus invisible UI items.  Oww.