Re: Compaq WIFI card not recognized by FC4

On 7/6/05, Lovell Mcilwain <lovell.mcilwain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I got ndiswrapper installed using the directions you gave me, thanks for all the help.  I was close
> to home plate when I ran into fatal error.  Its not as bad as you think although does sound scary.
> So I followed the directions for installed the drivers for ndiswrapper so you can see my steps that
> I took:
>

> Dowloaded the windows drivers for the wifi card
> Extracted the .exe file with command cabextract  file.exe
> cd' into the file that I extracted and run the command:
> "ndiswrapper -i file.inf"
>
> Got the following response:
> Installing bcmwl5
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
>
> Ran the command "ndiswrapper -l" to check if things were ok
>
> Got the following response:
> Installed ndis drivers:
> bcmwl5  driver present, hardware present

Good so far.

> ran the command "modprobe ndiswrapper" to load the drivers/firmware
>
> I get the following response:
>
> [root@Whistler broadcomwifidriver]# modprobe ndiswrapper
> FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
>

> Can anyone help me get past this fatal error?  Is there another way I can load this or even see if
> what I have is correct?
>
> Thanks

Hmm, did you install the Livna package using the "yum install
ndiswrapper"?  I guess you need to explicitly tell it to get you the
kernel module as well.

yum list "kernel-module-ndiswrapper*"

will give you a list of the avialable kernel modules.  Install the one
for your kernel version ("uname -r" will tell you the one you are
running).  If you are running the latest FC4 kernel
(2.6.12-1.1387_FC4, which you should update to) then your install
command will be:

yum install kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.12-1.1387_FC4

Unfortuntely, the list will not show you the whole package name, so
you need to tack on the "FC4" part to the end.

Jonathan