Re: FC4 Mplayer installation problem

Childish.

The original writer brings up a good point, although somewhat over the top. The package signature mechanism is very under documented, if at all. I have observed bizarre issues with the GPG mechanism of both YUM and UP2DATE. Once I found that simply reloading the keys didn't fix the problem of getting packages to install. Even turning off GPG checks didn't fix it either. I had, at that time, resorted to just going to the cache directory and installing the package it downloaded manually. Somehow, the GPG method of package checking was broken, and I couldn't fix it. Luckily, the OS drive is different than my data drives, so I just resorted to an OS re-install (it was FC3 I was using) and everything was fixed. I have no idea what broke it in the first place, but it was very annoying. I couldn't find any documentation on how it works nor how to troubleshoot it. The "fixes" I could find didn't work either. I had installed keys until I turned blue. So I can understand this guy's frustration.

It seems the GPG method is good generally, but it is very fragile and hard to fix if broken.

Nevertheless, I'd even recommend not turning it off as well. Its benefits outweigh the annoyance.

Rich