Re: simple ping; pinging 101

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
On 7/6/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It sounds like you want the OS to recognize whether you have a
cable plugged in and "auto-mount" like a USB drive or something.
You seem to have some serious misunderstandings about how
these things are intended to work. I know of only a few machines
which treat ethernet cables as "hot pluggable". I'd be very
surprised to find that any version of Linux would do that.

Reconfiguring a live network is not something many OSs do. This
normally takes administrator intervention.

Mike

I would like to test both arrakis eth1 and arrakis eth0
simultaneously.  hence the attempt to ping caladan from both arrakis
eth0 and arrakis eth1 sequentially.

From arrakis (Muad'Dib):

	ping -I eth0 caladan
	ping -I eth1 caladan

absolutely, networking is an unknown for me.  I'm not trying to setup
masquerading at this point.  I'm trying to ping caladan from arrakis
eth1 and arrakis eth0.

no, I do not expect an auto-mount.  between pinging from arrakis eth0
and arrakis eth1 attempts I run "./network restart".  does the routing
need to be changed at that time as well?

thanks,

Thufir

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-      On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say...  oh, somewhere in there.     -