Re: simple ping; pinging 101

On 7/6/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It sounds like you want the OS to recognize whether you have a
> cable plugged in and "auto-mount" like a USB drive or something.
> You seem to have some serious misunderstandings about how
> these things are intended to work. I know of only a few machines
> which treat ethernet cables as "hot pluggable". I'd be very
> surprised to find that any version of Linux would do that.
>
> Reconfiguring a live network is not something many OSs do. This
> normally takes administrator intervention.
>
> Mike

I would like to test both arrakis eth1 and arrakis eth0
simultaneously.  hence the attempt to ping caladan from both arrakis
eth0 and arrakis eth1 sequentially.

absolutely, networking is an unknown for me.  I'm not trying to setup
masquerading at this point.  I'm trying to ping caladan from arrakis
eth1 and arrakis eth0.

no, I do not expect an auto-mount.  between pinging from arrakis eth0
and arrakis eth1 attempts I run "./network restart".  does the routing
need to be changed at that time as well?

thanks,

Thufir