Re: Great News!!! European Law Software Patent Rejected

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 15:28 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> Some analysis I've seen suggests that this isn't quite the victory we
> would have wanted.  The patent regulation proposal was rejected wholesale,
> but better would have been for the proposal to be adopted with specific
> provisions against software patents.  So the suggestion is that this will
> all be back soon, and in the meantine, countries are on their own.

AFAIK the european parliament could not do any better. Despite it's name
and size the EP has very limited competence in the process of passing a
law, all they could and have done is to suggest changes to the council
which have been unanimously rejected before. It did not make sense to
suggest the same modifications again so they have simply rejected the
whole thing.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic
forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as
the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively
in the interest of the ruling class - whether that class hereditary royalty,
oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy.
                                             Frank Herbert, Children of Dune