Re: FC4 - unexplained lockups, system will not start

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 14:32 -0400, Don Levey wrote:
> It was at about 9:35 when the lockup occurred, and 11:52 when the third
> restart happened.  I'm a little disturbed that the first two restarts were
> not recorded at all.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I can post the Xorg.log, the Xorg
> config files, or anything else that may have bearing on the situation.

The ATI driver could easily be causing the problem. I would try going
back to the normal radeon driver. If that doesn't help, try the vesa
driver. If it still does it with vesa then it is likely not a video
driver issue. You can change the driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Then I would move on to kernels. I had problems with the out of the box
kernel freezing on me(note I doubt you have the same problem) with one
machine. During the process I found the latest FC3 kernels work just
fine. You might give them a try, 2.6.11-1.35. Avoid the
2.6.12-1.1369_FC3 in FC3 testing. It is based on 2.6.12, which is what
FC4 kernels are based on. You might also try the latest FC4 kernel,
2.6.12-1.1387. I expect yet another FC4 kernel out soon to fix an acpi
issue many people are having.

If none of that helps, I would look into the hardware. Check the cpu
temps, voltages, memory, etc.