Re: Postifx and virtual users (user unknown)

Am Mi, den 06.07.2005 schrieb redhatdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx um 15:36:

> Why am I getting this message when someone sends me an email?
> fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms
> I'm not trying to relay through postfix for which I should need
> authentication. I'm just sending mail to recipient. It should not
> check for authentication.
>
> What does this message mean?
> warning: /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd: bad command startup -- throttling

Looks like a Postfix misconfiguration. You should compare the output of
"postconf -n" with "postconf -d" to see which settings differ from
default.
Are you running Postfix in chroot mode?

> > The cyrus-sasl-md5 rpm is installed? cyrus-sasl-plain is needed for
> > supporting PLAIN and LOGIN.
>
> I tried yum install cyrus-sasl-md5 and it says that there's nothing
> to do. Doesn't it get installed with cyrus-imapd?

Cyrus SASL and Cyrus-IMAPd don't have that much to do with each other.
It is just that both originate from same university
(http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/) and that SASL is used by Cyrus-IMAPd as
the authentication layer.

> EJ

Maybe saslfinger is helpful for you

http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/saslfinger/

Patrick - author of one standard Postfix book:
http://www.postfix-book.com/ - has an older howto on his site which may
be partly helpful. Running a complex mailserver (Postfix + Cyrus-IMAPd)
with virtual domains I think it would be good to intensively read the
available documentation and to get the book.

Alexander

Serendipity 16:47:46 up 10 days, 23:39, load average: 0.14, 0.15, 0.10