Re: Services Bug

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 06:59, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Paul,
>
> > Do you have the rsh-server and telnet-server packages installed?
>
> I have *everything* installed - it was an 'everything' install from CD
>
> > I trust you realise that these services are horribly insecure?
>
> Yes, but they work well (for our use) on the intranet behind a firewall
> so that no-one outside can get to them.
>
> My question still remains: why can't I turn them on ?
>
> Jonathan

After you enabled telnet did you restart xinetd?  If you don't do that I
don't think xinetd will listen for telnet requests.

Also make sure you don't have iptables blocking telnet's port.

BTW: Even on an internal network it is better to use ssh.  A hacker that
knows their stuff that manages to get on a system internally will setup
a sniffer and collect passwords to other systems.

Don't rely on just the perimeter firewall to protect you.  Being hard on
the outside and soft and chewy on the inside is not good security
practice.  Layers of protection is the right way to go.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

I go on working for the same reason a hen goes on laying eggs.
		-- H.L. Mencken