Re: Killing idle SSH sessions?

Alex,

Adding ClientAliveInterval will only help if the client drops off entirely and the server can't get any response. If the session stays connected (say, in a Putty window) but the client doesn't do anything, the session stays active. I've tried and verified this on multiple systems. There doesn't seem to be a way built into the SSH daemon in Fedora to kill an idle session. SSH on other distros seems to support a different setting for the sshd_config file called IdleTimeout, which does what it sounds like; it kills a session after being idle for a set amount of time. This setting does not work on Fedora... ssh will not start if this line is added.

So, I guess I am just hoping that someone has addressed this issue with another program or script. Thanks for the help so far with this.

Alex Evonosky wrote:

Add this to your /etc/sshd/sshd_config:

ClientAliveInterval n

n=number of seconds (0 default for unlimited)