Re: MySQL FC3

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 20:26 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Dave Foran wrote:
>
> >I have a major issue of sorts ;-)
> >
> >I have no idea what the password for root is
> >I have tried a a number of recommended edits to try and either delete or
> >replace the password but all have failed.
> >
> >The rpm on FC3 CD will not permit removal as yum has updated the file
> >routine.  I d/l the currant rpm and it will not allow removal. It says,
> >this in not installed..
> >
> >Any good thoughts short of re-installing everything and that is not a
> >viable idea..
> >
> >I need I think a way to un-install mysql and do a clean install..
> >
> >Any thoughts ??
> >Thanks
> >Dave
> >

> You can try booting from any rescue disc which allows mounting
> of your root file system. Then edit the entry for root, which
> should look like this:
>
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>
> to replace the :x: with :0:, so it looks like this:
>
> root:0:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

That may not give the proper results. The x tells it to look in the
shadow file.  Anything else can confuse it.

To manually remove a password, edit the shadow file (not the passwd
file) and remove all the characters between the first and second ":".
For example, if you change
     root:$1$4t2QsEeI$x/qpd4YEUgl1/38NoUXcK.:12862:0:99999:7:::
     to be    root::12862:0:99999:7:::
then root will have no password required.

The simplest way would be to boot as you suggest, then in the chroot
environment simply run "passwd root" and assign a new password which
will get saved properly.