Re: simple ping; pinging 101

On 7/6/05, Lai Zit Seng <lzs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How are you selecting to ping via eth0 or eth1? It seems to be that in
> both cases your ping would have chosen eth0. Yet the 2nd case fails.
>
> Are you selectively pulling out physically the network cable to "select"
> the network interface to use? This is not going to work!

if you understand me and I understand you, then yes ;)

when the cable is plugged into eth0, and the network script on arrakis
is restarted, then arrakis can ping caladan.

when the cable is plugged into eth1 and the same procedure is followed
then the ping fails.  if the cable is then plugged into eth0 and the
network script restarted then the ping succeeds again.

what's wrong with the "experiment"?  it seems to me that there's a
problem with eth1.

the immediate goal is to ping from arrakis eth1 to caladan.

thanks,

Thufir