Re: FC3 Print Sharing

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 16:37 -0700, Steve Croteau wrote:
> Greetings All,
> I still can't figure out what in my mind should be a simple task.  I'm still
> struggling to share an HP 5550 deskjet with another FC3 box, both connected
> to a Netgear router/firewall.
>
> I tried tweaking just about everything I could find under the gnome print
> configuration window.  I've tried disabling SELinux, and the FC3 firewall in
> order to detect a cups queue but no luck.
>
> The local USB printer was automatically detected by box #1, the only thing I
> had to adjust was the sharing.  I set it to share to network address
> 192.168.0.3/255.255.255.0.  Nothing!  I can't get box #2 to see a browsed
> queue.
>
> Do I need to have 631:udp listed in 'other ports' under the firewall setting
> in 'security level'?  I even tried opening port 631 on the router.  I
> previously used SuSE 9.1 before I came back to Fedora.  It was super easy in
> SuSE but I really want to stay with FC3.  This is the only configuration
> problem I'm having.
>
> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Remember, type slowly and
> clearly because even though I've been using this for a while I still consider
> myself a newbie.  Thanks!!!
>
> Steve Croteau

Steve,

I'm running FC3, no firewall, connected to a Cisco switch, not that much
different than yours.  I have two remote printers configured on my local
host as shared to all.  If I go to another linux box (running rawhide),
I can open a browser to localhost:631 and see the printers shared from
the first box.  I printed a test page to test their availability without
problems.

What do you see on Box #2 if you run firefox localhost:631?  cupsd must
be running on Box #2 and port 631 should be open through its firewall as
in Box #1.

Bob...